Re: Google wins

From: Joel Pitt (joel.pitt@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 18:24:19 MDT

On 8/3/06, Tennessee Leeuwenburg <tennessee@tennessee.id.au> wrote:
> Google's search seems to me to be hardly better than it was years ago, and
> there are still many subtleties for which I cannot search. I seen no
> evidence of new AI (in any sense) in their online systems.
>
> They are doing a great job of bolting together gorgeous web applications,
> and seem to be content with doing that and then selling the advertising
> revenue.
>
> I get the feeling that the strength of their search algorithm is its
> simplicity, not its subtlety.

The reason you don't see any improvement is because there *are*
subtleties to the algorithm, but advertisers, spammers, porn sites,
and link exchanges all eventually cotton on to what those subtleties
are and then exploit them. Then Google slightly change the ranking
system to combat those spam sites and deliver sites with real content
- but then the spam sites realise there has been a change and work to
elucidate how they can up their ranking. As I understand it Google are
constantly refining the search algorithm.

Still, I understand your point about not being able to make certain
subtle searches - but then, that is the art of Google-Fu.

--
-Joel
"Wish not to seem, but to be, the best."