Re: The "One Basket" Problem

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2006 - 18:25:29 MDT

On 8/5/06, Deepak Goel <deego@gnufans.org> wrote:

> I have written once to this list before on this subject ("all our eggs
> are in one basket, we need a backup"). I wrote up an article and hope
> you don't mind my sharing this article with you:
>
> http://gnufans.net/~deego/DeegoWiki/OneBasket.html

I agree completely with the spirit of what you say, but not with your
proposed solution.

The problem is that we're not close to having the technology to colonize
Mars - we can reach it yes, but we can't live there. And that's going to
take qualitative advances in both hardware (nanotechnology) and software
(AI). Grey goo is pure science fiction, but some of the potential
applications of nanotechnology - ones that would greatly help with
colonizing space - look realistic.

That's why delaying progress is the most dangerous thing we can possibly do.