Re: Singularitarian demographics

From: sam kayley (thedeepervoid@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 16:19:03 MDT

Joshua Fox wrote:
> I note that the great majority of SL4 members have computer software
> as their primary profession. Why is this?

Much of the appeal of computer programming is that a raw idea can be
realized with less cost, time, and troublesome details than other forms
of art or engineering, which attracts people looking for high returns
with little input, and probably further encourages that attitude,
exactly the kind of people who really like the idea that with one really
good idea, an allnighter coding on their commodore 64, and an internet
connection, they could save the world, or at least destroy it in a cool
way ;)