Re: What's going on this decade?

From: pdugan@vt.edu
Date: Tue Aug 08 2006 - 16:27:19 MDT

I'm young and I was thinking the same thing just the other day. This decade has
been one of rampant conservatism and mediocrity, not just in the sciences as
you point out, but in the creative arts as well (politics is so obvious its not
worth more than a parenthesis). Film, music and games have had fringe indie
activity that is semi-interesting, but there haven't really been any major
innovations. I've got a lot of hope for the tail of this decade as reversing
the trend, as there seems to be a lot of burgeoning AGI effort that might show
fruit, and interesting threads in interactive entertainment that could converge
in interesting ways. So far, however, this decade is truly deserving of being
called "the Nils".

Patrick