Re: What's going on this decade?

From: H C (lphege@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 19:40:21 MDT

>From: Mary Tobias <mariet@got.net>
>To: sl4@sl4.org
>Subject: Re: What's going on this decade?
>Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:52:04 -0700
>
>H C wrote:
>
>>>From: Mary Tobias <mariet@got.net>
>>>To: sl4@sl4.org
>>>Subject: Re: What's going on this decade?
>>>Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 15:34:54 -0700

>>>I think we're looking at something completely different... the 90s were
>>>given by tremendous intellectual
>>>vitality, and tremendous amounts of money and energy being invested in
>>>moving the race dramatically
>>>forward.
>>>
>>>The millenium has been marked by tremendous backlash; the explosive
>>>growth of fundamentalist religion
>>>especially in the first world nations, a virtual collapse of support for
>>>science and engineering as the best
>>>and perhaps only answer to human sustainability
>>

>>A virtual collapse of support for science and engineering?
>>
>>That's a little overboard. Just as one example:
>>
>>http://www.nano.gov/
>>

>>Technology is still accelerating, despite the delusions caused by your
>>liberal mental disorder ;).
>>

>>-hank
>
>Thanks for the sound-byte Hank :-)
>
>But I'm neither liberal (I do have a lebertarian leaning in case your
>observation was simply a typo) and having
>a different point of view than yours doesn't make me delusional. Fact is,
>in a multidimentional manifold, the odds
>of any two sentient beings having the same physical perspective is pretty
>slim... that's going to make you aweful
>lonely if you go around calling everyone with a different viewpoint
>delusion just because they can't see through
>your eyes (the physical or the ideological.)
>
>I'm clear that technnology is still accelerating, and it's going to as long
>as sentient beings exist... my concern is
>that with the tremendous amount of churning going on in human society, that
>the future will simply happen, and
>not be designed, and in that case, a future for human beings will be a crap
>shoot. That, and superstitious, and
>misguidied people locked in survival mode, may well do tremendous harm,
>through the ever growing capacity
>that technology provides the individual along the way. A C-5 charge is bad
>enough, a nano-device or some kind
>exotic bio weapon is altogether something else. I can do real genetic
>experimentation in my garage. What happens
>to the security of the world when much of the technology is available to
>highschool kids for science fair projects?
>
>All I'm saying is the we have to be awake, congniscent of the path we walk,
>and prepared to have our children
>prepared to assume responsibility for whats coming, prepared to cope with
>it, and warned of the critical issues
>they'll need to deal with. Anything less is irresponsible on our part for
>future generations.
>
>Mary Tobias

Sorry, I was listening to Michael Savage and got a little excited. I wasn't
going to post for at least another 2-4 weeks except to respond if you
responded. :)

>a nano-device or some kind
>exotic bio weapon is altogether something else.

And an AGI is all that- and everything else, too.

I definitely agree with you, I was just talking before thinking. I'm
surprised I didn't get booted off the list entirely.

-hank