Re: Donaldson, Tegmark and AGI

From: Michael Vassar (michaelvassar@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 22:56:19 MDT

Look Russell, we KNOW that there are superficial similarities between
hard-takeoff singularity and the Judeo-Christian world-view (though NOT, I
would add, that of many other religions). Sadly, your supposed negative
sympathetic magic (a-la Television would be like magic, thus Television is
impossible) doesn't actually work, so we have to keep believing in things
that our physical causual model tells us to. You don't have to, and are
free to leave. Really, if you dismiss hard take-off (which is, as stated
earlier, very close to the definition of SL4 belief a context which is
theoretically mandatory for posting here whether you accept it or not) as
"in the same ballpark as the belief that you can summon demons by chanting
phrases in Latin" you should leave, as it is grossly irrational of you to
try to debate with people who believe something in that ballpark.