Re: Donaldson, Tegmark and AGI

From: BillK (pharos@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 07:24:48 MDT

On 8/13/06, Russell Wallace wrote:
> "Mark, it was a brilliant idea," Autrey says encouragingly. "The notion
> didn't occur to me, and yet it's so obvious... it would save an enormous
> amount of effort... there must be a way to salvage your plan! We could try
> different buckets, looking for one that would keep the magical pow- the
> intentionality in the pebbles, even without the ritual. Or try other
> pebbles. Maybe our pebbles just have the wrong properties to have inherent
> intentionality. What if we tried it using stones carved to resemble tiny
> sheep? Or just write 'sheep' on the pebbles; that might be enough."
>
> "Not going to work," I predict dryly.

You might mean well, but unfortunately what you are doing meets the
definition of a troll.

(v.) (1) To deliberately post derogatory or inflammatory comments to a
community forum, chat room, newsgroup and/or a blog in order to bait
other users into responding.

There are millions of groups out there and plenty of them will provide
views opposing AI. But it is not the done thing to go on a Coca-Cola
group and post that Pepsi is really better. :)

Posting that Pepsi is better is very different to posting constructive
suggestions that might help to improve Coca-Cola.