Re: Donaldson, Tegmark and AGI

From: Russell Wallace (
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 10:00:22 MDT

On 8/13/06, Amara D. Angelica <> wrote:
> Very interesting discussion.

Thanks! And good list of links.

Russell, could you expand on "my purpose here is to offer an alternative"?

Well, I've previously argued against the feasibility of hard-takeoff
Singularity on technical grounds; what I've tried to do in this thread is
explain the psychology that had earlier led me to take the idea seriously,
and the way of looking at things that I subsequently arrived at, within
which I no longer had the emotional need to hold strong Singularitarian
beliefs and was therefore able to more objectively assess the feasibility of
various routes to AGI; in the hope that other people may find it useful.