Re: Measuring(quantifying) morality?

From: Charles D Hixson (charleshixsn@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2006 - 21:49:27 MDT

Patrick Crenshaw wrote:
> On 8/15/06, Jef Allbright <jef@jefallbright.net> wrote:
>> On 8/15/06, Patrick Crenshaw <patrick.crenshaw@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'v...
>
> The intrinsic Value of a particular gram of gold is always the same,
> but its derived Value depends on its effect on other things. Obviously
> this would mean that it would have different total Values depending
> upon where it is and what is around it, but the value that different
> people will put on it in the same context has to do with the *people*
> being subjective, not the total Value of the gram of gold.
So you're asserting that the intrinsic value of a gram of gold doesn't
change when you learn a new way to use it (say, electroplating)?

I question whether, in that case, gold *has* and intrinsic value. If
it's value is changed when you learn, e.g., to make adornments or trade
goods out of it, then where *is* there any intrinsic value?