Re: AI architectures in the 2000s

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 21:49:03 MDT

Another perspective is to look at NM and other integrative
architectures as moving beyond the elegance-and-simplicity based
aesthetic of contemporary math/physics/computer science, and accepting
an aesthetic that values the heterogeneity and complexity associated
with living systems...

Most prior AI approaches have been based on one special trick -- one
learning algorithm, one knowledge representation, etc. How elegant it
would be if there were one special thing like this at the core of
intelligence! (some on this list seem to think this "one special
thing" is bayes' theorem -- an assertion that I find erroneous in the
same way that it's erroneous to posit reinforcement learning, or
semantic networks, or any other critical yet limited concept as the
one special thing at the center of intelligence...)

Moving to an aesthetic in which there is no one special trick, but
rather an appropriate arrangement of heterogenous parts, is a big
aesthetic change for most hard-science-theory-oriented people...

ben g