Re: A study comparing 150 IQ+ persons to 180 IQ+ persons.

From: John K Clark (jonkc@att.net)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2006 - 00:54:04 MDT

"Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com> Wrote:

> The IQ test starts breaking down in the range beyond 130 to 160

I think what you say is true, in fact it MUST be true. When the great
physicist Richard Feynman was in high school he had an IQ test and all he
got a mediocre 125. The best definition of intelligence that I can think of
is "the sort of thing that Richard Feynman did" therefore it is not
Feynman but the advocates of the test who should feel embarrassed by this.
Meanwhile I seem to remember reading that one of the highest ranked
Mensa members of all time with an IQ north of 200 worked as a bouncer in a
bar.

But now the question is WHY is what you say true? One reason certainly is
that the inventors of the test had IQ's considerably less than 160, but I
think there is a deeper reason. I would find it mind boggling astounding if
intelligence, the most complex thing in the universe, could be described by
a simple scalar. At the very least I think you'd need a vector, and probably
a tensor of somewhat less than trivial intricacy.

  John K Clark