Apollo Project to get to the Singularity [WAS Re: A study comparing 150 IQ+ persons to 180 IQ+ persons]

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 11:16:44 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

[snip]
> Anyway, this may not be a particularly pointful thread, and I'm going
> to abandon it shortly as I'm leaving this afternoon for a 2-week trip
> to Europe (for a combination of Novamente-related visits, a
> non-Novamente-related academic conference presentation, and hiking in
> the Alps). I suppose the reason I launched on this rant is that the
> focus on testing people irritates me. It's not the right focus. If
> we're going to think and yakk about things besides Singularity-focused
> technology, IMO the stupid organization of our society is more
> important and relevant and interesting than the capability or
> otherwise of some particular test to assess anything interesting...
>
> -- Ben G

I have got to speak up and say I emphatically agree with Ben here.

Not only do I think that an Apollo-style project [I prefer to liken it
to Apollo, rather than Manhattan, but we could come back to that] is by
far the best way to go ....

But I also find the repeated outbreaks of IQ discussion on this list to
be something bordering on the ridiculous.

{Let's see: there hasn't been a great symphonist in the world since
Dmitri Shostakovitch popped his clogs ..... so do you suppose we could
get another set of truly historic symphonies if we put one hundred
high-IQ folks in a composing retreat, or if we put one hundred of the
world's best musicians in a composing retreat? Answers on a postcard
please, and DO NOT get distracted by red herrings, like whether g is a
good predictor of various boring measures like income or publications or
the ability to hold back farts).

Frankly, I think that the subset of high-IQ folks who know they are
high-IQ, and who are activist about it, have an alarming tendency to be
deluded about the power of pure thought .... as if there is something
inherently better about any pure thoughts that they themselves have,
compared with the thoughts of other people.

Too many of those folks, in my experience, are hell on wheels at
crossword puzzles and/or mathematics ... while at the same time being
closed-minded, opinionated fools who wouldn't recognize a scientific
method if it bit their head off.

So let's please drop the IQ discussions and talk about whether an Apollo
or Manhattan Project would make sense.

Any takers?

Richard Loosemore

[The main part of Ben's message is included below, for completeness.]