Re: Apollo Project to get to the Singularity [WAS Re: A study comparing 150 IQ+ persons to 180 IQ+ persons]

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 14:26:56 MDT

On 8/23/06, Richard Loosemore <rpwl@lightlink.com> wrote:

> So let's please drop the IQ discussions and talk about whether an Apollo
> or Manhattan Project would make sense.
>
> Any takers?

I think it does. Now we're not sure yet exactly what the best approach is -
but then they weren't sure in the Manhattan Project either, so they funded
several approaches simultaneously, all under the one roof so they could
cross-fertilize. That's what I'd do if I had, say, $10M/year to spend.

It's interesting how little this is on the scale of things (and it could
probably be reduced further by relocating to a place with soft currency -
Novamente does that to some extent, IIRC; a significant fraction of their
team is in Brazil). Later, Google-scale infrastructure might be required -
but that would only be after at least some working code had been produced.