Re: Apollo Project to get to the Singularity

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 23:10:04 MDT

J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> Community-based AI research is the idea that having a clue is an
> emergent property of having enough people without a clue in one room.
> And I use "emerge" in the "magic happens" sense here. I would make the
> observation that most productive AI research seems to be done by people
> who have shown little interest in community-based AI research, which
> would suggest that the "community" aspect is quite irrelevant to their
> progress. It is not as though there are not plenty of community-based
> AI research projects in existence.

The Japanese Fifth Generation project was exactly this sort of project,
only better funded. I wonder what went wrong. Maybe their mandate that
all AI programming must be done in Prolog had something to do with it.

When you don't know how to solve a problem, you imagine throwing big
powerful things at it, or things that raise a lot of positive affect.
Like throwing $10M, which seems like a big amount of money. Or saying
the word "community", which is a heartwarming lovely word, so anyone who
speaks against "community" must be evil.

I agree with Rogers. Either you know what you're doing or you don't.