Re: Why IQ doesn't matter

From: BillK (pharos@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2006 - 12:28:52 MDT

On 8/25/06, Gordon Worley wrote:

> I won't specify who on this list has these problems, but many of the
> smart folks here I've talked with over the years suffer from at least
> one of the following (so don't take this list as exhaustive or
> characteristic):
>
> * lack of social skills (high-level autistic, Asperger's)
> * attention disorders (ADHD, etc.)
> * anxiety disorders (OCD, etc.)
> * motivation disorders (MDD, etc. (this is still bleeding-edge stuff))
> * physical disorders

Some years ago when I was in touch with Mensa circles that was a
standing joke. The higher your IQ, the crazier you were. The
organising was done by the people who just scraped in above the 98%
level. At 99% they couldn't hold a job down, read voraciously, had
loads of weird beliefs and could discuss stuff that the majority
hadn't even heard of. The really humongous IQs had men in white coats
to take them home from meetings. :)

Sure, it's anecdotal, but it stopped the 'mine is bigger than yours'
IQ boasting.

BillK