Re: This is the third time this has happened [WAS Re: Manhattan, Apollo and AI to the Singularity]

From: Michael Anissimov (michaelanissimov@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2006 - 14:53:26 MDT

Richard,

Where are the powerful and viable approaches to Friendly AI you
mentioned? Judging from your earlier response, it seems like you are
feverishly writing these approaches up as I speak. The main point
here is that it's silly to reference such approaches without having,
well... references.

I'm not taking sides, and if Eliezer habitually vanishes when you
reply to his accusations, then he should stop that... but he was
correct that you did refuse to reply three references. How can these
approaches be so powerful and viable if they have not been exposed to
peer review, and currently exist only in your head, waiting to be put
down on paper?

The existence or non-existence of a viable approach to Friendly AI is
a matter of life-or-death for the human race. Do you agree?

In light of such large stakes, we (as in me and you, I can't speak for
anyone else) should make a pact not to get personal in these sometimes
heated discussions.

--
Michael Anissimov
Lifeboat Foundation      http://lifeboat.com