Re: The Conjunction Fallacy Fallacy [WAS Re: Anti-singularity spam.]

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2006 - 23:38:51 MDT

On 8/28/06, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience@pobox.com> wrote:

> The above sentence demonstrates (1) a severely erroneous picture of what
> H&B is all about, which seems to have been (2) virally transmitted by
> Loosemore to Waser, which is (3) why I'm considering banning Loosemore
> from the list.

My impression for what it's worth is that Richard and you have been
basically talking past each other the whole time, not least because you're
using the same terms for concepts that are just similar enough that the
difference isn't obvious and just different enough that communication isn't
really taking place; rather than ban Richard from the list, my suggestion
would be that both of you simply drop this argument and move on to more
productive topics. (To the extent that any transmission is taking place, I
think it's other people getting sucked into the 'talking past each other'
thing, so if you're going to do anything official-moderation-wise,
killthreading the argument might be the best option.)