Re: The Conjunction Fallacy Fallacy [WAS Re: Anti-singularity spam.]

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 00:57:52 MDT

On 8/28/06, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience@pobox.com> wrote:

> I am furthermore skeptical that the list is "drifting" in such a
> direction. I don't see any trend of increasing agreement from 2000 to
> now. The *notion* that this list is intolerant of disagreement could do
> some harm, though, which is why I am emphasizing that I do not,
> pragmatically, see any hint that this is the case. Did everyone rally
> round to denounce Loosemore, once it became clear that he was persona
> non grata with the great Eliezer? No. This list is as tolerant as ever
> of disagreement - but there are some misdeeds I won't tolerate, *even
> if* they're committed by someone who also happens to violently disagree
> with me. My desire to keep the list clean takes precedence over my wish
> to look wise and tolerant.

I agree. I have been impressed by the fairness and rigor with which this
list has been moderated; there have probably been one or two moderation
decisions with which I disagreed, but as far as I can recall, none that were
unreasonable.

At the same time, while I think what you took Richard's words to mean
constituted a misdeed, I think what he meant by them did not; as I said, I
think you've just been talking past each other, and while it would be
reasonable to killthread the argument (it's produced pretty much all heat
and no light, after all), but not to ban Richard from the list.