Fw: The Conjunction Fallacy Fallacy [WAS Re: Anti-singularity spam.]

From: Mark Waser (MWaser@cox.net)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 09:10:14 MDT

Hi Eliezer,

    First off, thank you for the well-reasoned and logical reply.

    Let me try to start by quickly paraphrasing where I understand us to be . . . .

A. Regarding H&B and Bayesianism
  1.. You are very vehement that no reputable expert in the field of H&B believes that human thought is Bayesian.
  2.. Apparently, some people didn't get the message since the first reference paper that I googled seemed to believe that it was still necessary to argue the fact.
  3.. Apparently, Richard didn't get the message because he seemed to believe that it was still necessary to argue the fact
  4.. But wait, you attributed to Chase the motive that he "just described a different way so as to render it applicable to an ongoing dispute in the related field of mental models."
    QUESTION: Why aren't you willing to attribute the same motive to Richard? That's all he really wants. *You* are the one who brought up all of the distractions of the field of H&B.

B. Regarding Richard's beliefs
  1.. First you say "Richard keeps seeming to think modeling is part of the heuristics-and-biases subfield, which it isn't."
  2.. When challenged to provide an example, you say "Actually, Richard's error is much worse; he thinks heuristics-and-biases is a subfield of mental models."
    Actually, I believe that the second statement *is* closer to Richard's beliefs but I believe that it would be more even more accurate phrased as "Richard believes that any correct mental model of human thought must explain the experimental results obtained by the heuristics-and-biases folks/field".

    QUESTION: Would you argue against the statement "Any correct mental model of human thought must explain the experimental results obtained by the heuristics-and-biases folks/field".

    Assuming that your answer is no -- Since that pretty much says that any human mental modeler must understand heuristics-and-biases, I think that you're protesting *way* too much. Yes, from the viewpoint of the h&b *FIELD*, it is *not* a subfield because they aren't always doing models -- or wait, maybe they pretty much are but they *certainly* aren't part of the same community -- so your statement is certainly correct -- but only from an evolution of human research *FIELDS* standpoint, not from a strict observation of what *AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE* are required for what other *AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE*. I think that this interpretation of your point is made quite clear by "My unreliable impression is that there are at least an order of magnitude more researchers working on heuristics and biases. H&B is a large experimental field, while "mental models" is a comparatively small, comparatively more theoretical field."

    QUESTION: Again, assuming that you wouldn't argue against the above statement, why are you attributing the absolute worst of meanings to Richard since, again, he didn't even start with the H&B *FIELD* stuff and, as he says repeatedly, IT ISN'T RELEVANT TO HIS ARGUMENT.

    C. Regarding my beliefs
  1.. OK. I phrased things very poorly when I said "he believes that heuristics and biases (at least as performed by Bayesians) are not relevant since they are not the
  mental model which is actually employed by the sole example of General Intelligence - i.e. humans" but I think *in context* that my intent was clear.
  2.. You jumped in with the extremely pedantic ""Bayesians" wouldn't use heuristics, they would use the inference rules of probability theory. The notion of a Bayesian "performing" a heuristic, or a bias, is nonsense."
  3.. So I'll return with the following: First off, the inference rules of probability theory *are* heuristics and are one set among many possible. Your statement, therefore, that "The notion of a Bayesian "performing" a heuristic ... is nonsense." is indefensible.
    QUESTION: Why are you attributing the absolute worst of meanings to me?
    QUESTION 2: Would you like to defend the statement that "The notion of a Bayesian "performing" a heuristic is nonsense."
    QUESTION 3: Do you believe that the inference rules of probability theory as most commonly *implemented* by Bayesians DON'T have bias?

    D. Regarding your interpretations, forward-chaining logic and actions
  1.. You said "The above sentence demonstrates (1) a severely erroneous picture of what H&B is all about, which seems to have been (2) virally transmitted by Loosemore to Waser, which is (3) why I'm considering banning Loosemore from the list.
  2.. I reply regarding the first clause that my sentence wasn't even about the *field* H&B.
  3.. I note that you're using an apparently groundless "seems to be" in the second clause. What basis do you have for that belief? Isn't it relatively equally probable that I already held those beliefs and am merely taking the opportunity provided by Richard to express them? Actually, in several cases where you're now slamming Richard, I'm not even sure that he holds the views that you are slamming and that I've been "virally" infected with.
  4.. I could see banning someone from the list if they persist in errors after scientific debate but as Richard (and numerous others) point out, there hasn't really been *any* sort of reasonable conversation. All Richard was *trying* to get to was an agreement that humans didn't use Bayesian methods. You are currently vehemently in agreement with that point. Richard made the same mistake that Chart did, he assumed that he needed to get agreement.
    QUESTION: Why are you so vehement about attacking Richard? His response to all of your H&B stuff has been to try to avoid it since *IT TRULY ISN'T RELEVANT*. I probably haven't helped his point by being silly enough to argue it (in enough volume and with enough speed that careless word/phrasing choices has given you several opportunities to misconstrue my meaning and further sidetrack al of this).
    QUESTION: Why haven't you addressed his main points? Does the emperor have no clothes?

            Mark

P.S. Regarding reading the literature -- I will admit that it's been the better part of ten years since I've read the core literature of H&B (starting with Uncertain Reasoning and moving on). I have been keeping up with new developments but I am susceptible to not realizing that the field recognizes how far out of the mainstream some crackpots are (think global warming). I know that they are crackpots, but I don't know that the field as a whole knows the same thing. For the purposes of discussing the subject itself, I have read the literature. For the meta-subject of discussion the field itself, I am more than willing to concede ignorance. In a similar vein, however, I believe that you need to concede the same ignorance of the modeling field which *WAS* the field that this whole debate originated in (which once again re-iterates how silly it is for you to be hammering on h&b when it isn't even really on-topic) since you clearly didn't recognize (and jumped on Richard) for something that is *standard* for that field.