Re: The Conjunction Fallacy Fallacy

From: John K Clark (jonkc@att.net)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 02:46:31 MDT

"Michael Anissimov" <michaelanissimov@gmail.com>

> it's somewhat disappointing that someone on this
> list sees it (ad hominem) as a foreign term.

It's not a foreign term, it's just an idiotic term. Latin can't obscure the
fact that it's just a huge astronomically pompous way of telling someone you
don't like the fact that he called you Mr. Poo Poo Pants.

During 911 on the Extropian list I was accused of engaging in "ad hominem",
in fact there was far far far more debate about whether I had or had not
committed in such a foul deed (worse than murder apparently) than the fact
that religious morons had crashed jumbo jets into buildings killing
thousands. After that experience whenever somebody mentions "ad hominem" I
want to vomit.

> People who write book-length works on cognitive science around the age of
> 20 aren't really what you'd call intellectual cowards.

As I said before my respect for Eliezer is unbounded, but when somebody
refuses to debate a point in those book length works on cognitive I don't
know how else to interpret it.

> these are people who are exhausted with what they see as uninformed and
> counterproductive bantering

If you are right then I am a fool; but I do not think I am a fool.

  John K Clark