META: Sniping policy (was: The Conjunction Fallacy Fallacy Fallacy Fallacy Fallacy)

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 13:29:14 MDT

John K Clark wrote:

> Yes, Eliezer said the reason the thread was killed was because of
> "ad hominem". I was never accused of engaging in "ad hominem"
> (what a ridiculous phrase!) but rather Eliezer said I was the victim
> of it and he tried to convince me that the only reason he killed the
> thread was to protect my delicate sensibilities.

I didn't snip the thread, James Rogers did. And even if I'd disagreed
with the decision (which I didn't particularly), I'd have backed Rogers
because a List Sniper needs discretion to do the job properly. Maybe
Rogers was wrong and the conversation would have gone somewhere
productive, but maybe he was right, and in any case, it's Rogers's call.
  Some baby getting thrown out with the bathwater is a cost of doing
business when you set out to build a moderated mailing list.