Re: Conscious of the parts

From: John K Clark (jonkc@att.net)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 09:47:02 MDT

"Olie Lamb" <neomorphy@gmail.com>

> Prove that ANY intelligence must
> prefer existence to non-existence.

No. The proof is so amazingly astoundingly ridiculously obvious that I won't
insult your intelligence by spelling it out but rather I will leave it as an
exercise for the readers.

Me:
>> Is it common for intelligent entities to decide that they don't want more
>> control of the universe?

You:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parinirvana
>It could be inferred that some 700 million people decided just so.

This philosophy of non improvement you're touting was written out in the
Mahaparinibbana Sutta, and that's a little odd because presumably the author
was not born with the ability to write, he improved himself and learned to
do so. He also learned the virtues of non improvement and I suppose he
thought that was an improvement.

The only way a AI would not want more control over the universe is if was
already 100% happy, if the universe was already exactly precisely the way he
wanted it to be then there would be no reason to do anything and it would
just sit there like a big lump. It would not only be 100% happy and 100%
friendly it would be 100% useless pointlessly soaking up electrical current
like a glorified space heater. It would be incorrect to call such a
contraption a "AI"; it would just be an "A".

  John K Clark