Re: Conscious of the parts

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 12:24:29 MDT

On 8/31/06, John K Clark <jonkc@att.net> wrote:

> Yes, and I can't think of anything that scales more beautifully than the
> speed of signals in a brain and the subjective passage of time. Trying to
> control or predict exactly what a mind that can put in 3 million times as
> much thought as you can will do next is a lousing proposition, and
> unpredictability is what we mean by a singularity.

Then we've been in the singularity since before we came down from the trees,
because we've never had the ability to reliably predict what another mind,
even one less intelligent than our own, will do.

On the speeding up of thought: substituting photons for neurotransmitters is
indeed an interesting proposition, but millionfold speedups look less easy
when you start considering heat dissipation.