Re: A study comparing 150 IQ+ persons to 180 IQ+ persons

From: Philip Goetz (philgoetz@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2006 - 19:55:05 MDT

On 8/22/06, R. W. <rtwebb43@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I agree with Ben here on this subject. His ideas remind me of a study :
> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.07/genius_pr.html
>
> where the researcher discovered two types of creative geniuses -- the early
> bloomers and the late bloomers.

IIRC, that article went on for pages without actually presenting any
reason to believe its conclusion. They showed a picture of two
graphs, one averaged over "early bloomers", showing (on average)
achievements early in life, and another averaged over "late bloomers",
showing (on average) achievements late in life.

However, if I took a series of samples of 4 random numbers from 20 to
80, and then divided them into two classes, one in which the average
value of the 4 numbers was < 50, and one in which the average value
was >= 50, you would see the same results.