Re: JOIN

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2006 - 06:57:47 MDT

On 9/29/06, ps udoname <ps.udoname@gmail.com> wrote:

> An upload requires somewhere from a roomful to a buildingful of computers;
> > it can't run over a wide area cluster, the bandwidth is far too slow.
> > Therefore it's sessile and highly dependent on the biological humans
> > maintaining the equipment; it can't so much as sneeze without permission.
>

> Wouldn't this apply equally to AIs?

Yep. With the caveat that an AI could be designed so that certain subtasks -
search in particular - can be factored out over high-latency links (so the
individual nodes could be separated by large distances). But there is no
reason to believe all or even most of an AI could run at useful speed over
such links.

The brain shows an ability to repair itself and grow, an upload should also
> be able to.

Sure. But brains don't ascend to godhood overnight (not in the material
universe anyway!) and there's no evidence an upload would be able to either.

I would think it more likely that uploads are either illegal or not
> recognised by the law as alive.

I certainly wouldn't rule out either of those possibilities.

Fair enough, but there are many technologies that are more dominant then
> people thought as well.

Such as?

It would appear that we have reached the limits of what it is possible to
> achieve with computer technology, although one should be careful with such
> statements, as they tend to sound pretty silly in 5 years.
>
> - Von Neumann

Do I need to dig up the quotes from that era about how human-level AI was
going to be achieved by the year 2000? :)