Re: RE: Re: What are useful for a phd?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2006 - 15:31:04 MST

Hi,

> >probability theory
> This mean machine learning as well? Or just probability?

Most of applied and theoretical "machine learning" is irrelevant to AGI ...

... but e.g., genetic programming and Bayesian methods are included
within machine learning, and these arguably do have indirect ATI
relevance...

> >psychology of human motivational structure
> Could you give me some pointers on this one please?

Maslow's and Ken Wilber's ideas are interesting but mostly empirically
unjustified...

OTOH the "flow" concept has some more scientific backing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29

My point is, if you want to understand how to make AI's Friendly to
humans, it seems worthwhile to gain some understanding of what drives
humans at a fundamental psychological level.... Unfortunately our
objective knowledge of this is weak, but there is some interesting
thinking on the topic out there...

Ben G