Re: Re: Re: What are useful for a phd?

From: Shane Legg (shane@vetta.org)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 03:13:46 MST

As an almost-PhD in AI, and having been to three different universities and
an AI research institute, my general thoughts are in line with Ben here.

It depends A LOT on which university you are at and who your professor is.
One professor will have some specific work he wants done and your PhD
will be to do it. Another will want you to come up with all your own ideas
and do your own thing, even if they are ideas that he doesn't believe in!

Another thing is that departments have a tendency to become homogeneous
in their beliefs, probably I suspect through their hiring process. One
department
will be all Bayesians, while another will have none. One department will be
pro-neural networks, another will think that anything who is interested in
neural
networks must have some kind of mental deficiency. Etc... The same goes
for conferences, as you will find out.

Shane