Re: bias

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@mac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 06:14:10 MDT

On Mar 16, 2007, at 3:48 AM, Joshua Fox wrote:

> None of these seems like a reason to make anti-bias into a #1
> priority. I wonder why there is such a correlation between
> Singularitarianism and an interest in bias.

I think you already got it. It's not one reason, it's that for many
reasons it's a topic we're drawn to. Although less dramatic and
exciting, many small reasons are as good as one big one.

I think you can also add to that list a social effect. Eliezer said
it as an important topic for AGI research and rationality, then
others studied it and said the same thing, increasing what people saw
as the value of studying heuristics and biases.

There are probably additional reasons that neither of us have thought
of.

                Gordon Worley
e-mail: redbird@mac.com PGP: 0xBBD3B003
   Web: http://homepage.mac.com/redbird/