Re: Existential Risk and Fermi's Paradox

From: Mary Tobias (mariet@got.net)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2007 - 00:39:36 MDT

In fact recent research suggests that human evolution has come to a near
stand-still and is by far the slowest rate of change for all primate.
The possible mutations that might improve/expand a brain the
size/complexity of ours, without causing serious problems with viability
and survivability are approaching zero.

The only likely changes in our neural capacity in the near term, won't
come until we have a profound understanding of our genome, epigenome,
and the machinery of our genetic expression, and the tools withwhich to
manipulate them. At that point it's possible that we may be able make
tweeks on our own construction, and eek out a few more CCs of prime
frontal lobe real estate.

Of course by that time, neural implants may make the whole conversation
moot.

Mary Tobias