Re: Anders Sandberg in Second Life on converging cognitive enhancement, uvvy island in SL, May 23 2007 10am PST

From: Byrne Hobart (sometimesfunnyalwaysright@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 12:31:21 MDT

You don't think that the tools we have affect the way we think? People with
extensive computer experience have certain terms (e.g. 'diff') that the rest
of us don't automatically use; someone obsessed with economics is much more
likely to instinctively think on the margin; and someone who spends a lot of
time in Second Life certainly knows that physical appearance is a means of
self-expression, not a fixed property. We can pick tools that positively
affect our behavior. I can't think of a definition of human nature that fits
what you said, other than the tautological "That which we can't change."