Re: Anders Sandberg in Second Life on converging cognitive enhancement, uvvy island in SL, May 23 2007 10am PST

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 21:03:11 MDT

On 12/05/07, Larry <entropy@farviolet.com> wrote:

This has to be taken as a given, technology doesn't change basic human
> drives. Come up with a neat new piece of technology, and people are going
> to think "how will this get me more money, get me laid, get me high, give
> me power". Even given the power to change the genome, it will likely be
> these urges that influence the changes.

At the moment technology doesn't change basic human drives, but it will be
able to when we're no longer basic humans. What will happen when it's a
trivial matter to reassign the pleasure of having sex to any activity
whatsoever?

--
Stathis Papaioannou