Re: Anders Sandberg in Second Life on converging cognitive enhancement, uvvy island in SL, May 23 2007 10am PST

From: Giu1i0 Pri5c0 (pgptag@gmail.com)
Date: Sat May 12 2007 - 04:45:32 MDT

Well, the three technologies that you quote are integrable in SL thru
external gateways at this moment, and will become fully integrated in
the platform soon. Spatial voice chat is in the new beta client, works
very well and will be in the release client in a few weeks. IRC is
available thru SLchat <-> IRC gateways and often used by people who
wish to participate in our chats without being in SL. It will also be
available natively when Sl switch from their proprietary chat system
to one compatible with open standards including IRC.

My company may get some funding to develop an adaptation of webinars
to SL, but i think we can do something *much* better than conventional
webinars.

We should bear in mind that the metaverse today is like the 2D web in
1992. At that time I was a Compuserve user very frustrated by being
unable to send email to AOL users and viceversa. Things have
progressed a lot since then. I am sure the 3D/VR metaverse of 2012
(which probably will be based on interoperable technologies and will
not be called Second Life) will be really cool. Of course, in 2012 we
will be complaining that it does not do this and that, and technology
will continue to evolve.

G.