Re: Anders Sandberg in Second Life on converging cognitive enhancement, uvvy island in SL, May 23 2007 10am PST

From: asgromo@gmail.com
Date: Sun May 13 2007 - 04:02:50 MDT

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 04:29:08PM -0700, justin corwin wrote:
> I'm very interested in groupware, Why did you pick these particular
> examples? As far as I can tell, ventrilo is essentially just a VOIP
> conference call, and IRC is of course a flat chatroom (you can make it
> more complex with custom clients, DCC actions, and user modes, I
> guess).
>
> The only new thing is in the wikipedia article, a client/server
> package called CONFiance is referenced. Have you used this? Is it more
> than just a roundrobin of webcams, like NetMeeting was?
>
> Second Life is not perfect software, but it provides for many more
> useful options than any of these, save the lack of support for actual
> facial expressions, (although you could stream a webcam to an inworld
> screen object, just as you could any presentation materials.).

I don't see why IRC and an anonymous FTP server for sharing material is
worse than any of these other options for a seminar. A channel is cut off
from the rest of the world, easy to moderate, can be accessed from
practically any online computer, and can support a huge number of
participants without lag. There's no overhead and no risk of irreversible
attack by giant flying penises. You can even run your own server.

Now, yeah, Second Life ALMOST supports facial expressions and ALMOST
supports voice chat and ALMOST is open, and, yeah, it simulates walking
around and fiddling with things next to a bunch of other people ALMOST
as well as could be asked. I'm still skeptical that these should be
prerequisite for an online seminar.