Re: Existential Risk and Fermi's Paradox

From: Toby Weston (lordlobster@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 12:24:01 MDT

This is my rather depressing take on the Fermi
Paradox.
There is no point in anything.

We humans are programmed/evolved to make sense out of
the environment, so we find it hard to accept that
large complex artefacts, like the universe for
example, are pointless. This has allowed us to
confabulate higher meanings that keep us going.

But if a truly rational being accepts that there is no
creator/mysticism/purpose then what is the point?
Evolution generates its own purpose; survival. But a
rational being will not be able to deceive itself for
long if the universe really is devoid of higher
purpose.
These minds will euthanize leaving nothing behind.

This may be a view in common circulation. Ian M Banks
touches on the idea in one of his books when he
describes a clean AI free of any of the "noise" of the
creating species. These AIs always sublime
immediately.

LLbster