Re: SIAI: Why We Exist and Our Short-Term Research Program

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2007 - 12:07:20 MDT

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 08:44:20PM +0300, Mindaugas Indriunas wrote:
> > How can one make an AI system that modifies and improves itself,
> > yet does not lose track of the top-level goals with which it was
> > originally supplied?
>
> Improves itself? Don't we have to improve us all human beings as
> an already-existing highest level AI (the world-wide society) by
> improving communication between our brains, instead of creating
> something *else* to improve it*self* rather than to improve us?

We've tried that; if it's not patently obvious to you by now that
humans aren't smart enough to run the world, I suggest you spend
some time with your local newspaper.

The point is to create a Really Powerful Optimization Process whose
goal *is* to improve us. (summarizing there)

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://intelligence.org/