Re: Simulation argument in the NY Times

From: Vladimir Nesov (robotact@mail.ru)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2007 - 17:06:59 MDT

Saturday, August 18, 2007, Norman Noman wrote:

NN> On 8/17/07, Vladimir Nesov <robotact@mail.ru> wrote:
>>
>> It's a question of being prepared. Say, you are being copied, so that
>> 1000 copies of you will be sent to labor camps and 1 copy of you is
>> given a substantial money compensation. One moment you are sitting in
>> a copying device, next moment there are 1001 of you. Which of them do
>> you expect yourself to become? With what probability?
>>
>> This question is not correct: you will become each one of them.
>> Expectations before the procedure can only prepare you to operate
>> more effectively is _some_ of future situations. This is a tradeoff:
>> you can't have general expectations, so in some of the futures you
>> will be less prepared than in others. Choice of futures to prepare for
>> is arbitrary,

NN> If 1000 of me were
NN> getting shipped to the desert and one was getting shipped to mount everest,
NN> I'd be preparing for the desert because I'd rather there be more of me than
NN> less of me.

And if there's no existential risk? Why is more of you better than
less of you?

>> This is a kind of remnant of evolution, which tried to infect
>> as much future branches as possible with given DNA.

NN> I'm not really sure what this has to do with the topic at hand. Under the
NN> many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, everything is being split
NN> into zillions of possibilities constantly.

Yes, and agents are prepared to those possibilities to a different
degree. I was trying to make a point that number of simulators of each
kind doesn't affect subjective experience. If there is even a single
simulator with everything-enumerating TM (and I believe even one is not
required), estimation of what kind of simulation is likely to be
performed and what is not will not affect experience from subjective
POV.

Evolution produced a system that is sustained in our universe branch.
It is prepared to exist in this branch.

--
 Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:robotact@mail.ru