Re: evidence?

From: Adam Safron (asafron@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 09:52:31 MDT

Thanks for the article.
In a previous post, I expressed a similar thought about inter-
galactic voids. Considering the size of interstellar voids (even
this big one) and the age of the universe, it seems that expanding
intelligences could create voids this size with relatively modest
assumptions about the speed of expansion for the civilization. If
our dyson sphere theory is true, observable matter is actually the
least interesting part of the universe. An alternative, possibly
more parsimonious hypothesis is that gravity causes matter to
concentrate and consequently leaves behind intergalactic voids.
Unfortunately, I don't know enough astro-science to disambiguate
between these two theories (both of which may be true). At the edge
of interstellar voids, do we see stars mysteriously flicker and then
disappear? What percentage of the stellar output could be feasibly
absorbed/harvested? Of course this will depend on the specific
stellar-system in question. If possible, how many years would it
take a super-intelligence to block the radiation from a star? For
stars that burn too quickly/brightly, is it possible to reduce it
them a more manageable size? Not only do I no know the answers to
these questions, I'm not sure anyone knows the answers to these
questions since there are limitations to how well we can predict the
engineering feats of advanced intelligences. I'd appreciate any
thoughts on this issue because I've reached a dead-end with it.
Best,
Adam