Universe a black hole? Probably (Was: Re: evidence?)

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2007 - 12:21:04 MDT

I read the suggestion that our universe could
itself be a black hole years ago (might have been
Sagan). It made sense and still does.
Functionally there is no difference between the
impossibility of visiting other universes
(different inflationary bubbles or what have you)
and the impossibility of communicating out of a
black hole with the surrounding regions. The wiki
entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_radius
 Explains the idea succinctly:

"A classification of black holes by mass:

micro black hole and extra-dimensional black hole
primordial black hole, a hypothetical leftover of
the Big Bang

stellar black hole, which could either be a
static black hole or a rotating black hole

supermassive black hole, which could also either
be a static black hole or a rotating black hole

visible universe, if its density is the critical
density"

You see, it is permissible to have a
Schwarzschild radius of tens of light years given
the amount of mass our Hubble radius may contain,
and still feel perfectly at home in it! From wiki
on "Event Horizon": "The Schwarzschild radius of
an object is proportional to the mass. For the
mass of the Sun it is approximately 3 km, and for
that of the Earth about 9 mm." The Sun has about
333k times the mass of Earth and, it would seem,
about 333k times the Schwarzchild radius. I
calculate (from wikipedia sources) that the
universe has a mass of about 15 quintillion Suns.
It seems it should have a Schwarzchild radius of
some 303 septillion kilometers, but the
observable universe has a radius of 435
quintillion kilometers.

Unless I've bollixed my estimates, our universe
has a Schwarzchild radius almost 700k times
farther off than its visible edge. Hence: black
hole.

Tom Buckner