Re: ESSAY: How to deter a rogue AI by using your first-mover advantage

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2007 - 04:18:02 MDT

On 26/08/07, Norman Noman <overturnedchair@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Suppose a religious organisation announces that, when the technology
> > becomes available, they will create a simulation in which the faithful
> > are rewarded with heaven while atheists are punished in hell, unless
> > they genuinely convert or make a small donation to assist the
> > organisation in creating the simulation. What are you going to do?
>
> Well, I wouldn't believe they were really even trying to do that, since it
> would seem very out of character. But if they were really trying, and if
> they really could do it, and if there was really nothing I could do to stop
> them, then I suppose I'd decide whether saving my own skin was worth having
> it on my conscience.

They might announce it as soon as they hear of Rolf Nelson's idea. In
fact, every special interest group could make a similar proposal,
having only to commit to run the simulation when computing resources
become cheap enough, which eventually they will. You would have to
give equal credence to all the competing claims about the motives and
plans of the potential simulators.

--
Stathis Papaioannou