Re: Transcension (in fiction) before Vinge's Singularity

From: Kevin Peterson (kevinpet@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2007 - 01:05:04 MDT

On 9/15/07, Damien Broderick <thespike@satx.rr.com> wrote:

> "official story premiere". Here's one revelation to a weakly
> posthuman, from an ad hoc alien superintelligence tool cast up by a
> broadly unintelligent alien Swarm and its Queen, at the end of the story:
>
> That story stuck in my head as well, not the implication of transcending
in the back story, rather for the queen's claim that "intelligence is not a
survival trait". It wasn't crucial to the story, but it is difficult to
argue against. I think there is truth to it. In the more modern view, you
could make the argument that for efficiency, a rational agent will only be
rational when tasks cannot be handled by less resource hungry subsystems.