Re: Strong AI Takeoff Scenarios

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2007 - 17:46:21 MDT

--- Rolf Nelson <rolf.h.d.nelson@gmail.com> wrote:
> 4. Self-improving AI, nowhere near human-level intelligence yet,
> figures out how to beat the stock market, on the order of a trillion
> dollars. Its owner re-invests much of his massive winnings in more
> hardware. (Weak scenario)

You could generalize this to other ways of making money (legal or not),
probably in ways we haven't thought of. Perhaps there are subtle market
manipulations or business practices that are too complex for the human mind to
comprehend. A lot of finance is already like this.

I don't think it is such a weak scenario. Look at what Google is doing.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com