Fwd: [agi] Looking for critiques of sci-fi novel "Hel's Bet" - Rabble-rousing Singularity tech recruiting propaganda

From: Aleksei Riikonen (aleksei@iki.fi)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2007 - 17:46:53 MDT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Doug Sharp <dougsharp@channelzilch.com>
Date: Sep 25, 2007 12:43 AM
Subject: [agi] Looking for critiques of sci-fi novel "Hel's Bet" -
Rabble-rousing Singularity tech recruiting propaganda
To: agi@v2.listbox.com

I've written a science fiction novel that is unabashed propaganda for
working on and donating to Singularity projects. It's a space opera
with a stolen space shuttle, a shootout between robots and Russian
gangsters, and an underground Singularity tech group called The Choir
Invisible. The protagonist is Heloise Chin, who describes herself as
The Pinup Grrrl for the Geek Rapture.

Heloise issues a formal declaration of war on death and has upgraded
Pascal's Wager to Hel's Bet:

Work for the Singularity to increase your odds of living indefinitely.

Don't bother if you have a taste for dirt.

The hardcore Singularity propaganda doesn't kick in until near the end
of Hel's Bet, but there are hints of it from the start. It does not
get into Singularity tech at all nor does it get deeply into practical
and philosophical issues. I will dive into that in the next two books
of my projected Geek Rapture Trilogy.

I've posted a big hunk of the novel to http://helsbet.com . Take a
look and if it grabs you email me directly for a pdf of the complete
manuscript. I am looking for critiques at any level from editing faux
pas to overall reviews. I'd love to snag some blurbs to use for the
next step toward getting Hel's Bet published – getting a good agent.
Feel free to circulate the ms. among others in the Singularity
community.

I am appalled at the lack of resources dedicated to developing
Singularity tech and Hel's Bet is my best shot at doing something
about that.

I am a computer game developer currently working on reviving my
classic game ChipWits http://chipwits.com . My next game project is
GODinabox: Desktop Digital Deities – http://godinabox.com – which is a
collaboration with Bobby Henderson, creator of the Flying Spaghetti
Monster. In the mid-90's I was a programmer/manager in Microsoft
Research's Virtual Worlds Group – the first MSFT open source project.
I am a graduate of the Clarion West speculative writers' workshop –
http://clarionwest.org .

Hope you like it,

Doug Sharp