Re: Re[3]: Is SETI dangerous?

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 18:02:47 MDT

--- áÌÅËÓÅÊ ôÕÒÞÉÎ <avturchin@mail.ru> wrote:

> I think it is a little bit improbable that so slow civilization got the
> singularity before us, because they need maybe trillion years to finish
> their evolution. And they must be before us if we receive their signals. An
> our Universe is only 15 billion.
>
> But also I think that it doesn't matter how slow their were on the begining
> - if thier advance were hiperbolic, it will reach any possible speed. For
> example, eart life took 2 billion years to create eucariotic life. How it
> influens the fact that now Moore law doubles every 2 years?
>
> Alexei Turchin

The DNA of E. Coli has 4 x 10^6 base pairs. The human genome is about 1000
times larger. Also, cognitive models of human long term memory is about 10^9
bits, on the same order of complexity as our DNA.

So it means the equivalent progression from bacteria to human could be
compressed into 20 years if Moore's law holds. And maybe the next 1000 fold
advance after that will again be 10^8 times faster.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com