Re: An amazing blind (?!!) boy (and a super mom!)

From: William Pearson (wil.pearson@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 21:52:28 MDT

On 27/09/2007, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience@pobox.com> wrote:
> This is why the word "impossible" has no place outside of math
> departments.

More information can be found here on wikipedia, unsurprisingly
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_echolocation

To me this ability that he evidences should be the fundamental
building block of agi theories of the future. The ability to
re-purpose resources to find new and different information about the
state of the world buried within the information stream, seems to me a
necessary precursor to reasoning about and learning from that stream.
Admittedly they feed off each other, but without the potential for
that change, there will be languages and patterns it can never
understand or recognise and disasters it will not have a chance of
somewhat recovering from.

 Will Pearson