Re[2]: Is SETI dangerous?

From: Алексей Турчин (avturchin@mail.ru)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2007 - 04:18:00 MDT

Not only I alone think about dangers of SETI:

http://home.fnal.gov/~carrigan/SETI/SETI%20Decon%20Australia%20poster%20paper.pdf

The Ultimate Hacker:
SETI signals may need to be decontaminated1
Richard A. Carrigan, Jr.
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
Box 500 MS 306
Batavia, IL 60510, USA
carrigan@fnal.gov
Introduction
Biological contamination from space samples is a remote but accepted possibility1.
Signals received by searches for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) could also contain
harmful information in the spirit of a computer virus. There have been many searches for
extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI) since the recognition of the possibility of detecting ETI
signals by Cocconi and Morrison2 four decades ago. Some argue that information in an
extraterrestrial signal could not attack a terrestrial computer because the computer logic
and code is idiosyncratic and constitutes an impenetrable firewall. Suggestions are given
on how to probe these arguments. Measures for decontaminating SETI signals are
proposed. The need for modification of the SETI detection protocol3 is suggested.