Re: The Meaning That Immortality Gives to Life

From: Anne Corwin (sparkle_robot@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2007 - 01:29:29 MDT

Along similar lines, my response to that debate (between Hurlburt and de Grey) can be found here:

http://www.existenceiswonderful.com/2007/07/longevity-future-salon-of-symphonies.html

Excerpt: "Life has a pervasive depth to it that exists at all scales and across all structures, and there is absolutely no reason to assert that this depth would somehow go away if people didn't need to worry so much about dying of old age anymore. In short, I don't think anyone, Hurlburt or otherwise, has the right to tell anyone else what makes their life meaningful. When people impose their paternalistic "life's a song, and I get to tell you what that song should sound like" attitudes on others, the result is no less than insulting."

"Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com> wrote: http://www.intelligence.org/blog/2007/10/14/the-meaning-that-immortality-gives-to-life/

I was once present when William Hurlbut, during a debate with Aubrey
de Grey, spoke of “the meaning that death gives to life”; Hurlbut
repeated the standard claims that life without death would be
meaningless and empty.

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!