Re: The Meaning That Immortality Gives to Life

From: Larry (entropy@farviolet.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2007 - 08:19:39 MDT

I agree. Not to mention its not that death is good, but that the knowledge
of impermanence tends to lead to experiencing the moment rather than
always worry about the future and past. Death is the biggest reminder
of that, but so are fading childhood memories.

Technology can't 'fix' impermanence. Death is a sudden big change, but
even if sudden death goes away, we die bit by bit. Your memories of
the 1990s would eventually fade to be no more than what you'd read in
a history book. It would no longer be real to you, your 1990s self
would be effectively dead.

There are only so many bits available, to move time forward bits have to
be recycled. Your either dead from being recycled, or even more dead
should that recycling stop, like being frozen in deep space.