Re: The Meaning That Immortality Gives to Life

From: Byrne Hobart (sometimesfunnyalwaysright@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2007 - 10:30:26 MDT

> This is my theory of why we haven't been visited by ETs:
> most or all civilizations fall into the trap of just wanting to be happy.)

Nah. They're still subject to evolutionary pressure. The desire to just sit
there and be happy probably struck lots of small tribes around the world,
and made them very happy indeed until a more restless group raped and
pillaged them into oblivion. I'm not sure ETs would do that militarily or
culturally -- but whether we face Mongols or McDonald's, it's fair to assume
that an ET we encounter will be intrinsically unsatisfied and wildly
expansionist.