Re: The Meaning That Immortality Gives to Life

From: Nick Hay (nickjhay@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2007 - 20:48:05 MDT

On 10/15/07, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:
> A singularity is necessarily a recursive self improvement process because once
> we achieve superhuman intelligence, those intelligences will be able to make
> further improvements faster than we can. Legg proved [1] that an intelligence
> (using the universal definition [2]) cannot completely predict the behavior of
> a greater intelligence.

This is not true. Shane proved, roughly, there is a c such that any
intelligence of complexity x bits cannot correctly predict ALL systems
of complexity x+c bits. The all is crucially important: one can
construction predictors that succeed on arbitrarily complex systems of
a specified form, and one can successfully build arbitrarily complex
bridges.

The proof is that for any system of complexity x bits you can
construct a devil system of complexity x+c bits which models what you
do and deliberately does the opposite. This is interesting, but
certainly doesn't exclude predicting all complex systems.

-- Nick