Re: Hacking your own motivational and emotional systems, how dangerous?

From: Byrne Hobart (sometimesfunnyalwaysright@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2007 - 09:05:35 MDT

On 10/25/07, Алексей Турчин <avturchin@mail.ru> wrote:
> I think it is impossible, because if you want to change your goal system, it means that you are alredy has such supergoal - to change system. But where did you get it? Maybe it is just Darvinish goal of exploring new spaces?

It might be a question of timing, or of immediacy: lots of people 1)
want to be thin in the future, but 2) want to eat Doritos now. Being
able to immediately experience the un-thinning nature of Doritos would
make their behavior more in line with their goals.

In other words, the way to do this isn't to actually change your
motivations -- it's to change your discount rate so you experience
future costs as directly as you enjoy present benefits.